Research and Tech Help
Ankeny Schools is a 1:1 Chromebook district. For more information regarding student and parent responsibilities, repair fees, acceptable use, troubleshooting tips, and FAQ, please visit our Chromebook district policy page, Ankeny 1:1 Initiative.
If you are a Northview student and are having Chromebook problems, accidentally cracked your screen, or need to replace your charger, please fill out this Northview Chromebook Repair Request Form to let the Teacher Librarian know you are in need of assistance. This form is for use by hybrid and remote students.
Microphone Volume Troubleshooting
If you are having problems with your microphone being too loud or too soft during classroom video calls, you can use these Chromebook -Set Microphone Levels Directions to adjust the volume.
Find up-to-date information on our new citation tool, NoodleTools!
Search Tips: How can I find better sources
Try these search strategies in the Gale Power Search:
Strong search terms (no wimpy words)
- Subject searching (3 min.)
- AND/OR/NOT (Boolean operators) (3.5 min.)
- Use Wildcards (3 min.)
- Use Quotation marks (2 min.)
- Use Gale’s “Topic Finder” (2 min.)
- Prefer written instructions? Read Gale’s exhaustive tips.
Try other databases
- Watch this video for the SIRS database to news sources.
- Don’t forget MackinVIA–we have many ebooks useful for research.
- Search scholar.google.com for more academic studies.
Search hints for the web
- Make sure you evaluate ALL websites when you’re searching through a search engine like Google. Consider Easybib’s helpful pointers:
Try a Google New search–and use the limiters on the left margin to help you narrow your date range.
Narrow or broaden your search with “leap-frog” searching (4 min.)
Google: Apps for Education (GAFE) User’s Guide
Tips for Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, and Drawings
Google: Docs, A Beginner’s Guide
From Google Support
Google: Docs, More Tips
Be sure to review all four pages.
Google: Drive Google Apps Learning Center
Google: Drive Help Center
Store, organize and find, share, and sync files; Docs, Sheets, Slides, and other apps
Google: Getting the Best Out of a Google Search
Google: Using Chrome Bookmarks
Google: Voice Typing